Saturday, April 14, 2012

Melbourne

Multicultural, urban, buzzing with energy, trendy, hip... Melbourne is all of these things and so much more.

I focused my visit mostly in the area of St Kilda. That's where I booked a room with Kyla, through her listing on airbnb. This has become an essential resource for me while finding accommodation (people offer rooms or floors or whole homes for rent). Kyla and her son, Arki, added so much to my visit! Anyways, back to St Kilda...

I made my way through the shops, restaurants and cafes on a daily basis. Sitting on the patios, watching people go by; everyone from drag queens, homeless people, dog walkers, business men and women, families and tourists. It was an eclectic mix and I enjoyed the diversity it showed. Rococo Restaurant became my favorite without a doubt - beautiful breakfasts, wonderful coffees, and amazing dinners. Their sangria was pretty incredible too :)

I also spent some time in the CBD (Central Business District) of Melbourne. It was busy!!! And for this small town Canadian/temporary country Aussie girl, it was some major culture shock! My first 3 stops were The Body Shop, a huge bookstore and Target. These, while there were shops like Tiffany and Co, Coach, Chanel, and David Jones on the same street. You can take the girl out of the country, but not the country out of the girl! Ha ha!! This trip is about food and wine, not about shopping :)

The flow of people is just non stop and while you're surrounded by historic buildings you've also got trams, skyscrapers and shopping malls everywhere you turn. My head was seriously spinning until I saw an information booth! That big yellow 'i' on the blue square was like a beacon in the sea of people.

Being that I worked in info centers for 3 summers, I take great comfort in asking for directions and suggestions in every place I visit. Jill, the lovely lady I chatted with, was so helpful! She gave me some maps and sent me on my way, much less stressed and confused than when I first met her :)

I then made my way to what's considered one of the best sushi restaurants in Melbourne. The line was out the door and there must have been 20 people in the line, non stop. It was delicious and so cheap!!

On the recommendation of my info centre lady, I walked over to catch a tourist shuttle bus that's free and takes you around the CBD, to see the major sites. Thanks to my arthritis, my feet were killing me, so a free 1.5 hour bus ride sounded perfect!

I got to see the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Lygon Street (the Italian area, also known now for being where the mafia hangs out), Carlton Gardens, the Arts Precinct, along with other highlights. I hopped off in the Docklands area where there is outlet shopping on the harbor and...Costco! I know that's sad to be so excited about Costco but I was - it reminded me of home!! I bought a new book, at half the cost of the book stores so that made the trip worth it. That, and the berry sundae I enjoyed in the good old Costco food court!

There were some neat shops but honestly, not there for the shopping... So, back onto a tram where I returned to the CBD and then made my way back to little St Kilda on the Beach, my home while I'm in Melbourne.

My dinner consisted of Warmed
Focaccia Bread, Bacanati with Tasmanian Salmon in an Olive Oil and Garlice Sauce and a glass of Red Sangria - YUM!! For dessert... a glass of Penfolds Club Tawny Port. Also, YUM! While drinking it, I thought of my dad and how he's the reason I've developed a love of wine, especially a nice glass of his homemade wine or port. Salut Dad!

Now, my time in Melbourne has come to an end and I am off on another adventure (a 3 day tour on the Great Ocean Road).

Melbourne has been incredible and I look forward to visiting again with Diana and maybe even Mom and Dad. I would still love to see an Aussie Rules Footy game and experience more of the wonderful restaurants the city has to offer.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment